Postgraduate Department of English
St. Aloysius College (University of Calicut)
Elthuruth, Trichur, Kerala 680611
2000-2004: Awarded Ph.D for this thesis entitled “The Narrative Subjectification: A Reading of Eco’s Novels” by the University of Calicut under Faculty of Languag and Literature.
M.Phil in English Language and Literature. Mhathma Gandhi Universityy, Kerala.
1992-1993 : Bachelor of Education with specialisation in Teaching of English. University of Calicut
1996-1998 : Master of Arts in English Language of Literature. University of Calicut.
1992-1995 : Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in English Language and Literature. University of North Bengal.
1982-1985 : Three Year Certificate Course in Philosophy, Salesian College, Sonada, Darjeeling, West Bengal.
1984 Passed Grade IV in Pianoforte with honours from Trinity College of Music, London.
Area Of Interest
Popular Culture and Music, Semiotics, Advertising, Cultural Theories, Foucault Studies, Theatre, Media Studies.
Participation in Training Programmes
Training Programme for Research Guides in Languages at ASC, University of Kerala,14-19, Sept.2009
2008 : Training Course in Management of Colleges and Universities organised jointly by Allahabad Agricultural Institute Deemed University, Allahabad and Institute for Quality in Higher Education (8 days)
2004 : Refresher Course in English at Academic Staff College, University of Calicut (22 days)
2002 : (Refresher Course in Human Rights at Academic Staff College, University of Kerala. (22 days)
2000 : Refresher Course in Post Modernist Trends in English Literature at Academic Staff College,University of Calicut. (22 days)
1999 : Refresher Course in American Literature at Academic Staff College, University of Pondicherry.
1. (2015) ” ‘Urkraft’, ‘Social Conformity ‘and ‘Site’ as Contrastive Concepts that Construct a Thematic Strategy in Arun Joshi’s the Strange Case of Billy Biswas IOSR (International Organization of Scientific Research, a unit of CSIR) Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Volume 20, Issue 6, Ver. IV (Jun. 2015), PP 37-62 Print-ISSN: 2279-0845,. e-ISSN: 2279-083. DOI(Digital Object Identifier): 10.9790/0837-20643762 MML (Manuscript Mapping Link) number: 0837-2006-0462 ESCI (European Science Citation Index). www.esciworld.org Impact Factor: 1.607; Citation Report: 79.6%
2.(2014) “Thematic and Narrative Features of Jeet Thayil’s Narcopolis.” IOSR (International Organization of Scientific Research, a unit of CSIR) Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 19, Issue 12 PP 54-68 Print- 2279-0845, e-ISSN: 2279-0837. DOI number: 10.9790/0837-191265468 Impact Factor: 1.576; Citation Report: 72.1%
3. (2014) ” Manu Joseph’s The Illicit Happiness of Other People: A Critical Analysis of the Literary and Thematic Features”. IOSR (International Organization of Scientific Research) Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 19, Issue 10. PP 49- 78. Print- 2279-0845, e-ISSN: 2279-0837. DOI number: 10.9790/0837-191034978 Impact Factor: 1.576; Citation Report: 72.1%
4. (2014) “A Critical Reading of Manil Suri’s The City of Devi” International Journal of English Language, Literature and Humanities. Volume II Issue IV. PP 260-280. ISSN-2321-7065 with Norwegian Accreditation: Accr.No.MSYS 013 SJIF Impact Factor: 2.317
5. (2014) ” Manu Joseph’s The Illicit Happiness of Other People: A Critical Exposition” International Journal of English Language, Literature and Humanities. Volume II. Issue III. PP 190-212. ISSN-2321-7065 with Norwegian Accreditation: Accr.No.MSYS 013, SJIF Impact Factor: 2.317
6. (2014) “The Narrative Strategy in Jeet Thayil’s Narcopolis International Journal of English Language, Literature and Humanities. Volume II Issue VI. PP 260-280. ISSN-2321-7065 with Norwegian Accreditation: Accr.No.MSYS 013, SJIF Impact Factor: 2.317
7. (2014) ” Jhumpa Lahiri’s the Lowland: A Critical Analysis “IOSR (International Organization of Scientific Research) Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 19, Issue 11. PP 100-117, Print- 2279-0845, e-ISSN: 2279-0837. Best Impact Factor: 1.576, Citation Report: 72.1%
8. (2004) “The Technique of Configuring Docile Bodies through a Process of Appropriation of Space: A Reading of K.J. Baby’s Nadugadhika” Theatre India, vol.10, 2004. PP126-144. ISSN 0972-2521
9. (2002) : Kenneth R Hall’s Structure and Society in Early South India. South Asian Journal of Socio-political Studies Vol. II Issue II. PP 127-129. ISSN 0972-4613
10. (2000) : “Strategic Subjectification in Man/Woman Pair-Clustering” Perspectives on Comparative Literature and Culture . Cochin University Press. PP 127-138 ISBN 978-81-906050-5-2
1. (2011).”Historicizing the Peruvian Theatre Traditions” Litspark. Vol.4, PP 30-42
2. (2008) “Media Education : Strategies and Directions”, Teaching Media. Proceedings of Seven-day UGC National Research Workshop. St. Aloysius College, Elthuruth. PP 94-111
3. (2008) “Designing a Pedagogical Modal for Group. Oriented Learning on Media” Teaching Media. Proceedings of Seven-day UGC National Research Workshop. St. Aloysius College, Elthuruth. PP 1 -20
4. (2006) “The Mechanics of Power and the Contemporary Tribal Predicament as Reflected in K.J.Baby’s Nadugaddhika”. Regional Literatures in English Translations, (Proceedings of UGC sponsored National Seminar) Sree Kerala Varma College. Thrissur. PP 43-48
5. (2006) “Is Plath Confessional?” Litspark, vol.3 2006 PP 24-39
6. (2006) “Thrissur Pooram” Piravi – 2006 : Kearla Piravi 50th Anniversary Souvenir, Thrissur. Government of Kerala Publication PP 308-309
7. (2005) “Subject and Power – a Foucaultian Perspective”.Litspark, vol 2. March 2005. PP 67-84
8. (2004) “An Ecoian Perspective on Entitling: An Analysis of Umberto Eco’s Title The Name of the Rose”. Litspark, vol.1, March 2004. PP 26-33
9. (2004) “Theorizing Translation in the New Linguistic Conditions of Hyper-reality: Some Useful Guidelines from Jean Baudrillard” Translation: Theory and Practice. Proceedings of UGC National Seminar: MD College, Pazhanji . PP 35-46
Academic Recognitions/Awards Ph.D-Research Supervision
1. 2013: Bharatiar University awarded Ph.D to Rajesh M, the Research Scholar under Supervision for the thesis entitled Cultural Motifs in Epistemological Transition – a Neo-colonial Reading of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness and Chinua Achebe’s Anthills of Savannah (Reg. No.R-Ph.D.- E- 2009-0874 R&D, Bharatiar University, Coimbatore.)
2. Functions as Research Guide for part-time external Ph.D in Bharatiar University Coimbatore. (Part – Time Ph.D. Category – B: Pool of Research Supervisors – GU 1295). Eight Ph.D Research scholars are registered
Other Relevant Information
1. 2005: Research Project entitled Thrissur Pooram : Its Secular Narrative sponsored by UGC completed ( Ref: MRP(H)-337/2005(X-Plan) KLCA 022/UGC-SWRO)
2. 2012: Media Education: Towards Framing Lesson Plans for Teaching Visual Media sponsored by UGC completed ( Ref: MRP(H)- 1219/10-11/KLCA 020/UGC-SWRO)
3. Member of PG Board of Studies (Englsih), Calicut University from 1-2-2006 to 1-2-2009 & 30-3-2010 to date
Co-ordinator for a seven day National Research Workshop on Teaching Media sponsored by University Grants Commission from 24th March to 30th March 2006.
4. Co-ordinator for Remedial Coaching Classes at UG/PG Level for SC/ST Students aided by UGC, New Delhi.
5. Co-ordinator, Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) St. Aloysius College. (from 2003 onwards)
6. Co-ordinator for University Grants Commission sponsored State Level Seminar on Quality
7. Enhancement through Healthy Practices on 9th and 10th March 2005.